bigger than life...

Steve had to go back to work and even though it was 1oPM, I wasn't tired. Usually wait for the local news to be over but last night I picked up the remote and started to cruise. I was crusing thru A&E on my way to MSNBC, I caught the beginning of Steve Irwin's memorial service. I remember the first time I saw him and immediately wondered what he had been like as a child. A character no doubt, way larger than life - his energy tired us just watching him. I am not a big animal person, another side effect of an undeveloped curosity but he dragged you in with his own sense of enthusiasm. The memorial was a wonderful blend of Steve. the Crocodile Hunter and Steve, the family man. Everyone dressses as he always was - a sea of khaki's and boots.

His young daughter came out and read from her paper with a big smile on her face - there was no breaking in her voice as she read, I have the best daddy. Have, not had. You could put that down to dealing with her grief but I don't think so. Can you imagine having someone like her dad in your life, day after day, seeing the world thru his eyes and sharing the energy and one day - he is gone? That energy that lead that family is gone and while they will make a new way, they will take His Way and make it theirs. What a legacy, what a Love.

As Bindi was talking about her dad, I could see her in 15 years in the same spot - for a different reason. She is standing there with her little girl and they are dedicating a new wing of the Austrailian Zoo to her dad. She talks about the last time she stood in this spot and how it affected her life. She talks about how her dad was bigger than life and she followed her dad's footsteps because she wanted to. She turns to her daughter and little Terri says, I have the best grandpa ever... Although little Terri never met Papa Steve but she didn't need to, to know she had the best grandpa ever. Her mother has taught her how much Love he brought and shared. She taught her daughter that being gone is not being alone. That Love crosses generations and leaves it precious self, anywhere it is nourished. Larger than life, living in a Shadow that can only bring nourishment and a sense of well-being... Be well, Bindi, you have much to look forward too,