fear...

Fear is … a kind of unintentional storytelling that we are all born knowing how to do. Karen Thompson Walker.

There is not a caring parent alive who does not fear, most everything when it comes to their children. Not all parents can be included which in and of itself, tells a Story of fear that one would not wish on any child.

There has been much going on in our world currently that has most of us in fear for our children. Whether they are in school, on a bus...places where we use to believe were safe zones free from the Bad Guys. That is no longer the case and if you don't believe that, look at your own fears.

Just like all great stories, our fears focus our attention on a question that is as important in life as it is in literature: What will happen next?”

Ms Walker brings up a fascinating outlook on fear, one that had never crossed my mind. She talks about how fear tells its own Story, complete with characters, plot and outcome. The Stories that our fears tell us come from the same imagination that writes books, poems and other bits of literature. We are as drawn in to their reality as we are any book in our personal libraries.

I have a vivid imagination. I can make a mountain out of a molehill, in my mind. My fears are as detailed as my Stories of childhood or the red-headed lady at Walmart who I know was Jesus. Maybe that is why my fears are more crippling than say my DH. He is very matter of fact and his fears are nowhere near mine in content or intensity. I am mostly my only audience for these fear Stories so I think that the fear takes liberties it wouldn't if it was being published for all to see. It is an amazing and maybe even a healing place to begin to understand that for some of us, our fear Stories are just that, Stories. Not fact but fiction taken to the highest place it can go and then begs us, to jump.

I am spending some time here for a while. Facing one's fears is never done unless provoked and I am thinking this may be the time to pay some attention. Make no mistake, there are real fears out there but those are not the ones that make the best Stories. Fiction usually isn't as flashy or exciting as non-fiction. In non-fiction, the author is not bound by truth or time. Same goes for fear...