awareness...


this is the day that God has made. psalm 118

really-this day? the one with wars and poverty and divorce and addiction and betrayal? this one?

yes, this one.

this one because there’s a difference between analysis and awareness.

analysis pulls things apart, looks for cracks in logic, points out the inconsistencies.

analysis needs things to make sense.

there’s nothing wrong with analysis, of course, it’s often vital to our survival and thriving. but if we stay there, in that mode and that mode only, we can easily find ourselves stepping back with arms folded, pointing out all that’s wrong with this day and all the ways it falls short and all of the evidence for why this particular day doesn’t appear to be the kind of day that God would make-all while this day passes us by.

(this is very easy to do, by the way. it’s why cynicism is so popular. it’s easy.)

but in this psalm-the one that says that this is the day that God has made- this psalm isn’t first and foremost about analysis, it’s about awareness.

and the difference is massive.

awareness doesn’t ignore or gloss over the very real questions and pains of this day, it transcends all of that analysis with the very straight forward acknowledgement that whatever this day is, it’s a gift to be embraced and engaged and maybe even enjoyed.

this day maybe be rough and bloody and heartbreaking but it is here and it is now and it is bursting with untold potential and possibility and our response to it is of utmost, urgent importance.
Rob Bell.



Yesterday brough shock to the digi community, one of their own passed away. Many of my sisters were caught off guard and the day was spent in many, many I Can't Believe it Moments, grief shared. While I did not know her personally, the love her friends have lavashed on her, is ummistakeable. One can't help but grieve, for the one loss but for themselves too. To know how quickly, life can be taken away. We need to be jolted into remembering this and sometimes, nothing short of a grief, will take us there. It is about today and it is about awareness. As I prayed for this precious soul I thank God that she got to meet her her twin grandbabies that were born last year. I thanked Him for making her illness short and hopefully, as painfree as possible.

For the first time in over 8 months, I forgot my iPod when I went to the Rec Center. I decided to go without. It was tough. I heard all the sounds that normally don't even cross my radar. It was tougher to pray. To pay attention, my mind wandered farther and farther. I forgot about today and the gift it is. Too much analynis and not enough awareness...