BIG shoes to fill...



Ronald MacDonald has big, big shoes. Not a common size or color for a man but Ronald MacDonald is not just any man. He and his shoes are known all over the world. I dare say he might be more popular than the Beatles or Jesus. When the kids take off their shoes to play at a MacDonalds, his shoes are staring them as they use the little shoe cubicles to store their footwear. Hard to miss.

Big shoes to fill. Big and bold. As I played with this picture, I thought about whose shoes get my attention. More a icon of one who has made an impression on my life. I am not big on heroes, most of my family were to be feared not emulated. I think those that have led everyday lives and did the best they could, wear the biggest shoes to me. My german grandma was one of those.

Oma wasn't big or bold. On the quiet side, she spent her time flying backa and forth from Germany to help her daughter raise her family. I'm sure she never imagined spending so much time in America but Somewhere all the line, decided she would help where she could. My dad and his family were not kind to her but most of the time, she said nothing. She took care of my sister and I the best she could. While her daughter had numerous mental problems, when she lost it - it always broke her heart. She would stand up to protect me and my sister but was not always successful. She died in Germany a few months after I got married, quietly accepting the cancer that would ravish her body.

It is not always a Big pair of shoes that we have to try to fill. Sometimes a little pair can be just as mighty. It is not about size its about heart...