whish you were here...




Emily's had a blog entry this week that caught me a bit off guard. Her church plant is coming up on their one year anniversary and while her enthusiasm is contagious, her words are haunting...


If you're a God-follower and you're not going to church or don't like your church, GET IN THE GAME! You are needed. Time is short. Church is NOT about you. The church is the only organization that exists for the benefits of its NON-MEMBERS!


I believe she has Something. I think that church should exist for non-members. I think that we have forgotten that and have turned inward. While I believe that church is not limited to any physical building, we have a responsibility to be connected to a body of people. I am not there now, for many different reasons but her reminder is circling my little brain on how that translates to me.


I am still hanging in there with the TV show, Saving Grace. Each week as I watch this woman continue to run from God , the circurmstances of her life weave a vicious web which seems to grab her and hold on. Three steps forward and two back. She is fighting tooth and nail, at every turn. This week, there was a shoot out - Grace was brought back to life, one of the other officers was not so lucky. As she prepared to attend his funeral, she asked Earl the Angel, How is he doing? And Earl says, He is like a six year old on Christmas morning. I can not imagine a better definition of heaven. I will forever have the vision of a six year old on Christmas morning with me, at every funeral I attend from here out.


I don't know what Getting in the game is going to look like but I'm open to find out. Maybe I have been hearing, Whish you were here, being whispered in my ear. All those years of loud music have taken their toll and of course, a little stubborn streak never helps. Get in the game - count me in...