sunflowers...



I finished my senior shoot out at their house today. It is a long ride out in the country so I grabbed my Billy Collins CD and headed out. For me, it really was quite an adventure but I wanted to enjoy the wide, open spaces and still not get lost. Miss J will have a nice selection of urban and country pics when we get done. She is a FABulous young lady. Most of the shots today will have her barefoot - a girl after my own heart.

Between setting up shots, the sunflowers are just so big and vibrant. I have loved sunflowers for as long as I can remember. Every year I tell myself, let's plant some and we have yet to do it. Today's sunflowers were the size of dinner plates. They almost look comical at their six foot height with a huge flower attached.

It was so quiet there. As the girls fiddled with hair, I just sat and drank it in. The only home Miss J has ever known, we talked about what it may feel like when she leaves. She thinks the city is exciting but realizes at some point, she is going to miss the wide, open spaces that seem like second nature to her but as with all seniors, she has to move toward the sunlight of Big Peoplehood.

I took in as much as I could. Hoarding quiet to take back home with me. I pulled away from the house wanting to warn them that if they ever saw someone just sitting on their porch, it would just be me. No need to come entertain me, I would bring my own drink and entertain myself. I would be in no need of nothing except lots of boundless space to sit and contemplate the meaning of life. I would imagine that it would be easier to think out there. Easier to figure out what is important and what is essential and definitely easier, to breath deep.

So we finished out session and with Billy Collins still reading poetry, I take the now familiar road back to my reality of subdivisions, mini malls and traffic. As I pull into my driveway and am home, I smile - I am happy. I have a picture of a sunflower, my computer and I am a blessed woman...