dr D...

Easily the most embarrassing, ridiculous thing I have ever said...

Background though-- when going into a patient's room, I usually ask the accompanying adult or adults how they are related. "Are you mom and dad?" Often they will correct me and say, "I am grandma, and that is my boyfriend." Or something along those lines. Never, ever assume.

So, I was called to a delivery, in broad daylight mind you, of a full term infant whose heart tones were down during labor. By the time I arrived, the mother screamed and pushed one more time, catapulting her son into the ecstasy of breathing air. Crying, pink and beautiful. I cleaned him off and flicked his feet to make him scream. Apgars 8,9. I never give 10's. But that is a story for another day.

Then, I went over to the sweating, out-of-breath woman spread eagle in the hospital bed:

"Congratulations! Are you mom?"

And before the words got past the tips of my teeth, I knew I was a complete idiot. But they sprayed out like silly spray. The Obstetrician, stitching her up at the end of the bed, cocked his head at me, "Really?"

There is no coming back from that.
www.6yearmed.com


This is why I love Dr D.
As one on Twitter commented, she is a writer disguised as a doctor.
I can so relate with Foot In Mouth Syndrome,
can't wait for the Next One.
Mine, not hers...