lent...



I know very little about Lent but am being drawn to it this year. My first exposure to Lent was when a favorite boss of mine, who considered cheeseburgers, milkshakes, smoking and cursing the four food groups of his life, told me one Spring day - no more cheeseburgers for me. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It seemed to come out of nowhere, I thought he was having health issues.

Not a religious man, the idea of deep roots of childhood manifesting itself in an adult man, threw me. He took turns giving up cheeseburgers and milkshakes. This went on for many years. Not sure what he thought about during the 46 days but he was so faithful every year, hard to believe that he didn't think about Something.

The purpose of Lent is to be a season of fasting, self-denial, Christian growth, penitence, conversion, and simplicity I am somewhere in that definition. March 9is Ash Wednesday so I have a few more days to decide which direction I am going. Not trying to over think it, it needs to mean Something to me and I just haven't figured it out yet.

My church doesn't do Lent. Love that it doesn't matter. I am looking forward to these days. Days where a change will remind me of what is important. Days where withdrawal from one thing, could bring a great understanding of other things. Things that in the long run, will bring special Moments. I can hardly wait...