a day of sanity....



Actually it is our once a year Christmas/Sanity Day. Now that we have done it twice, it has become a tradition. My friend and I do some Christmas shopping, lunch at Cheesecake Factory and alot of talking. Walking around the mall, people coming and going - standing in line to see Santa, like we had done a few days ago.

We have known each other for over 25 years and even though she is much younger than I, we connect on the same level. We are in different Seasons of life but spiritual, are in the same ball park. We talk as we shop - and pick up right where we left off after a purchase is made. It is one of those relationships that you cherish.

I am done with my shopping and she works more than a full-time job so we tried to conquer her list and got quite a bit done in 6 hours but I imagine she would agree with me when I say the most important thing we shared today was our lives with each other.

We talked about everything and some things, twice. We share hurts and joys. We took turn asking deep questions and being honest with our answers. In friendships like this one, you get to the nitty gritty pretty fast and that is when the real thing happens. I can't help but think the Holy Spirit is hanging out too and working through the conversations, long after they are over.

While the day is planned, what happens, is not. We are both able to be in the Moment and because of that, mixing both Christmas and Sanity comes quite naturally, a major accomplishment in itself.

I walked away from the day, a better person. Better - because she challenges me and made me think. Such a confusing time of the year and any clarity I can find is warmly welcomed. Christmas and Sanity - isn't that the ultimate oxymoron? Not in this case. This one is as smooth as butter...