adjusting...


We had a pretty cold weekend. Enough so that we needed to turn the heat on. That really is unusual for this time of year. We should have about 16 more days of non-furnace days. Oct 23 is my target date every year for firing up the gas fireplace which heats the whole house. Ultimately the downside is that I go into hibernation mode sooner. My menu for meals change. Time for comfort food. Homemade chicken pot pie will replace potato salad for the next 9 months as well as fresh corn on the cob will have to make room for mashed potatoes.
It is a matter of adjustment. Some go better than others. Being a California Girl for so many years means I will always have to adjust to wearing a coat and driving in snow for 6 months out of the year and I have to admit that every year I act like it is a total surprise. Like I have never done it before. What's with that?
With the flip flops and the patio umbrella gone, time to make a few more adjustments. The up side is that as I lay on the couch, daydreaming while looking out the window is a nice way to spend a cold, cloudy day. Gives me time to think about what the kids are going to wear for Halloween, what to bring to Grandma Sue's for Thanksgiving and what time we are going to start shopping on Black Friday. If you really think about it, adjusting is not Something to fight but really to embrace. Familiar sceneries, wonderful smells - a time to shake it up a bit. Save that for the Big Adjustments which we will all face, sooner or later.
Maybe the little ones will help when we have to make the Big Ones. When we face life changing adjustments - the ones where we will never been the same and the ones we never saw coming - is it possible that in yearso flearning to adjust to the little things that we can look there for help with the big things? I would like to think so. Ok, so my schedule for turning on the heat was compromised - I can deal with it. My pantry is stocked with pumpkin puree and cocoa. I made Hot Fudge Cake for lunch today w/o even thinking about it. Maybe I am doing better than I think - maybe I will become the Adjustment Queen. Imagine that...