halloween 2007


We spent 5 billion dollars on halloween this year - that is up 50% from 2 years ago. It sounds almost unbelievable until the same stats sayers tell us that we will spend a combined 475 billion dollars on Christmas/Kwanzaa/Hanukkah in the next few months.

That is a long way from your mom and dad's halloween. As a kid, I knew that every year I would wear the jeans that fit at the time, add one of my dad's shirts, tie a scarf to a stick and voila!, a hobo. Never mind the costume, it was worth it for the candy. The candy was what it was all about. I could not think any further - just candy.

After we started going to church in the late 70's, we learned about the dark side of halloween of which I literally had no idea about. Now days the church is good with halloween and have parties, scary costumes and all. I still have strong feelings about it but now having the grandkids, I have returned to the halloween of my childhood.

We have three parties tomorrow, 2 school ones and then we are going to party at home, taking turns answering the door and checking out all the costumes. The weather is always hard to predict and this takes care of worrying about it. Since we have a pirate, a BSU football player and his matching cheerleader. I am a BSU fan and papa is a pirate - all bases will be covered. I also promise not to go thru the kid's candy and taking all the good stuff FIRST and leave them with what is left.
We have done our part to contribute to halloween's 5 billion expense, now...on to the 465 billion dollar Christmas...