personal space...





Personal space, an updated form of Edward T. Hall's 1966 proxemics, is the region surrounding each person, or that area which a person considers his domain or territory. Often if entered by another being without this being desired, it makes them feel uncomfortable. The amount of space a being (person, plant, animal) needs falls into two categories, immediate individual physical space (determined by imagined boundaries), and the space an individual considers theirs to live in (often called habitat). These are dependent on many things, such as growth needs, habits, courtships, etc. Hall's spacing models, to note, were themselves based on Heini Hediger's 1955 psychological studies of zoo animals.
Another mystery solved. I have always thought I was reasonably well equipped to handle personal space but it seems there is a clink in my armor. When I am at the grocery store, I expect the line I am in to continue to move along. Any stopping of said line should be kept to a minimum. My girl says I get too close to the guy in front of me. I see it not as an issue of personal space but personal responsibility. She has even pointed out that our 5 year old knows about more about personal space than I do - apparently they teach it in school now.
Have your check written out, your credit card ready to go - whatever it takes. I am not trying to crowd you, just keeping up with the flow of traffic. I am not trying to hug you or kiss your babies and expect the same, back. This is not personal - we are both here to do a job and I see no reason that it can't be orderly and done in an efficient manner.
This is not the same as being overwhelmed at the front doors of a church by a zealous hugger or someone who want to rub a pregnant tummy for some unknown reason. Whatever other charms I may possess, I am Miss Personal Space, personified.
I will be on my best behavior on my next trip to the store with my family. No promises, as I am still not convinced this isn't an apples and oranges issue but I see the point...It's always fun until someone puts an eye out...