a knock at the door...

Saturday Night. We went to bed early - DH had to go to work Sunday. However my little nap earlier in the day made sleeping impossible so I got up. ABout 1120Pm. I hear someone knocking at the front door. I listen and about 3 minutes later, they knock again, this time more forcefully. I continue to listen, really wishing they would just go away. I look out the window in the far bedroom and can't see a car or anyone.

Then the doorbell rings. I go get DH up out of a deep sleep and tell him what I know. He dresses for company and I offer my help but grabbing the phone and offering my services as the fasting 911 caller south of the Mississippi. He looks at me like I am crazy but I shrug that off to his sleepy state. He opens the door - we have a little catch so you can open the door and see who is there. My phone in hand, I am prepared for anything.

It is our dear neighbors across the street, both of them. She knew I was by myself alot and I know that is why she came too. They wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with us because our garage door was up...Earlier that evening, Dh and I were searching for a bag that held a shirt for the next day's photos shoot and Christmas presents that had to be hidden. I thought he closed the garage door, he was the last one in. Not so.

We thanked them over and over, Dh headed back to bed and proceeded to try to calm down. I thought about all the nights that he is gone and I am alone. I have had some trouble with the doorbell ringing in the middle of the night when he is gone - even moved my office to the back side of the house. Probably kids but I am always too scared to look out. The top of our front door is glass covered by a blind. As I sat going over the night's event, I dawned on me that maybe I need to be a bit more proactive and less timid. I am letting those superhero skills I KNOW I have, dwindle and atrophy which eventually would render them useless and that would be quite a waste.

It reminds me of another Story that involves a closet, a unclothed woman and me as the main character. Those who know that Story seem to get a great chuckle out of it. After too many Happy Chocolates, I have made it public but do not intend to say anymore except that fear makes a person do things they ordinarily, would not do. Enough said.

Finally got to sleep, the sun came up and all is right with the world. I am considering altering my behavior next time this happens - lets hope I have learned something. Thanks Craig and Susie - for having our backs...