50 ft...





We took some family photos on Saturday. Keaton came with to help. We started at the park for some nature backgrounds and then moved to one of our favorite places to take those fabulous urban shots. It really is a skatepark that doubles as a gathering place for homeless folks. It seems like such a dicotomy to have kids skateboarding for fun and people who literally, have no place else to be.

I have a love-hate relationship with the homeless culture. They really are a culture onto their own. I have some experience with the homeless - my father was one. Finding himself in this predicament was not because of bad breaks due to a lack of employment. Alcohol took over his life and eventually, killed him. Because of his choices, he was not welcome at my home. I took some hits because of it and later, was apolgized too. It didn't really matter - I had a family and refused to put any of us in harm's way. That experience overlays my attitude toward this culture and it has taken more than 20 years to come back around.

Come back around to what? I have found myself in the last couple of years, putting myself in their place during times of prayer. I imagine living out in the cold and wonder what one thinks about. It is an odd place to be and while I can't iamgine that I might be involved in any kind of homeless ministy - I also could never imagine praying for them.

I am still frightened to be around them. As is Keaton. I didn't find that out until after we left the park. We didn't take as many pictures as we did last time mainly because there were many more homeless people around. There is only about 50 ft between the space where this man was resting and D and R were practicing their musical skills. Only 50 ft.

Keaton told his mom about being scared.
The night before, he had nightmares about the homeless man we saw at the park.
No nightmares last night, Thank God.
I have had plenty, enough for the both of us.

50 ft, yet a lifetime apart. It is a culture than includes so many Stories, so many reasons for being a part of a club that no one would choose, if sound of mind. That is the problem not- only for the homeless but for the families they leave behind. I find myself wanting to tell their Stories thru the lens of the camera. Whether that ever happens or not, it is a miracle to be just find myself here...