the grim reaper...





As I waited for my kids at the pumpkin patch, the grim reaper walked by. He surprised me and I was taken back for a minute. Then his mother followed him out to the parking lot. Never thought about TGR having a mother but it makes sense.

As I continued standing there, I was caught off guard again when he and his mom pulled up and asks if I would like any apples. Momma leaned over and explained that they had just picked them the day before. I thanked her/them/him but declined. It might sound crazy but it just doesn't feel right to take apples from TGR even though I know it was only a teenage boy in a costume. The only other costume I saw in the three hours I was there was a tiny boy in his Spiderman costume.

There has to be a Story there and part of me would love to know what it is. The mom seemed perfectly normal and even jolly. She had to be aware of the unbalance of the situation but she took it all in stride. Sometimes, we wonder if we are doing the right thing. We don't want to make a mistake. We want to make the best choice and whether it makes sense or not, it just didn't seem like a good idea to take an apple from the Grim Reaper - even today, I wouldn't have had it any other way...