Halloween...

RIGBY -- Seventh District Judge Brent Moss has ruled that an Idaho Falls sex offender must submit to a polygraph test if he wants his name removed from the state's sex offender registry.

Jeramy Freckleton has been on the sex offender list since 1998, when he pleaded guilty to felony sexual battery of a minor 16 or 17 years old.

He has no criminal record since his probation began, but Freckleton said having his name on the registry is making it difficult to find a job as an accountant. That's because the State Board of Accountancy requires applicants to submit to criminal history background checks.

On Monday, Moss said Freckleton would have to take a polygraph test before he makes a decision.

Repeat, aggravated and violent sex offenders are placed on the sex offender registry for life, but Idaho law allows other offenders who to petition to be removed after 10years.


DH drove my car and the next time I got in - my radio was switched to talk radio. Because of the election, I have left it on and am listening to whoever is talking when I am driving. Yesterday afternoon, it was a local host who brought up this Story and asked the audience, Should sex offenders be allowed to ever get off a SO registry?

First of all, I was shocked ( DH too) that being on a SOR had an experation date. It never dawned on me that there was even that option. As you could imagine, this was a volitile issue on the subject and most thought there shouldn't even be trials - just a firearm was all that was needed to take care of this problem and there would never be any repeat offenders. One guy brought up forgiveness and Christians. He was not met with much understanding. One guy told about being in college and how a kid streaked during a football game and because there were kids in the stands, not only found himself on the SOR but also in prison. There were a few people who said if the crime was a 18 year old guy and his 16 year old girlfriend, that was a different issue but that all SO are lumped into the same pie. Another older gentlemen said, Sure, as long as they agree to castration first.

I have my own opinions and bias. It is my understanding that this kind of behavior doesn't stop with castration - the urge is always there. I come away with that experience so my POR is that these people are never cured. Amother thing I was told is that for every time one of these people is caught, they have on average committed this activty 20 times already. I am still shocked and wonder how many people in our state, have been successful at getting off the list.

The last caller was a woman who wanted to talk about Halloween. She gave a Speech Of Epic Porportions. Without taking too much of a breath, she said these people have always been around and always will be. We have to watch out backs and our kids backs. She said we spend 364 days a year telling our kids not to take candy from strangers but 1 night a year, it is ok. By now, her voice was full and strong. She went on to say that is was our responsiblity to take care of our kids and if we are doing our jobs, SO on Halloween won't be an issue. Don't let them go to homes of people you don't know and don't let them go by themselves. Be Responsible. I agree with her and by the end of her speech, it hit me that while we can't protect our kids from everything, we do have some control and we sometimes we don't it wisely.

God wants us to love our neighbor but that is hard when you are afraid of said neighbor. We are getting ready for our Halloween party - Indiana Jones, Bobo Fett,( from Star Wars) and Hannah Montana are said to be in attendance. I can hardly wait!

When I was a kid growing up, Halloween was all about the candy. My father insisted on going through our candy first - we were always hobo's, with pillowcases tied to a stick - not for safety but so he could get the best candy first. There was no anti Halloween issues in the atheist household and over the years I have run the emotional gambit on Halloween. I am very comfortable with where I am with it now And after tomorrow, my month for Thanksgiving begins.

So however you choose to spend tomorrow night, be safe. Stay close to your kids and everything will be all right. We do live in a scary world but a little common sense can go a long way. I told my friend the other day, as my God gets bigger - the impossible doesn't seem so...impossible.

A friend shared this Oswald Chambers quote today and it was a perfect fit. We are not limited to human reasoning. We are not bound by the natural but by the supernatural. There is so much I can't see - doesn't mean it isn't there...