26 minutes...



The past few days, we have seem some terrible weather. In Texas, lives and property were devestated. One news account said people were warned with sirens for 26 minutes, to get what they were getting and get out.

What would you grab if you had 26 minutes? In talking about this to my girl she ssaid she would take nothing, grab her family and get out. I admire that, nothing is valuable enough to her to risk any part of losing her family. Given warning, taking heed. Her mother, on the other hand, is a bit shallow. I started going through my escape plan, what would get thown in old trunks and then into the two cars. Trying to remember the different plans I have dicussed with myselves. Photos, hard drive backups, and every mobile device we own, was the first round of thinking. After that, it is all subject to change

As I sit here today, trying to decide, I imagine it would be a bit different if it were the Real Thing. Forgetting, panicking and starting to grab whatever was in front of me would probably be more like it. AFter getting to a safe location and able to go throuhg what I had grabbed, would probably be scratching my head, What were you thinking? Do you grab the big camera? How about the the lens in the other bag? Yet, here I sit looking at yellow dishes and fake plants that were on the book case right by my bed. What about the books? Did you grab any that are no longer in print? While digital is the way to go, there is just Something about the ZD Memoral Library that was to go to the kids. What about the kids boxes that you have been saving with photos and school programs? What about the necklace tree?

By now, I imagine that 15 or so minutes are gone. The cars may or may not be full. The real truth is you may or may not, have 26 minutes to get out of harm's way. Time to go, time to let go...