expert...



That is what her nametag said, expert.

The Apple store has climatized all of us to their genius description so having a retail giant follow suit, didn't seem like a stretch. But, there was no name, just expert, written in all lower case letters. In retrospect, that was the first clue.

She was cashiering on a busy Saturday afternoon. I noticed her tag and immmediately my mind expected some kind of upgrade in service. That was my first mistake. Then she charged me double for an item that is commonly sold in pairs. She didn't have a clue, is what her face said when I pointed out her error. I started to wonder when the expert was going to kick in. It never did.

She redid the transaction, smiled and our time together was complete. I felt robbed of some kind of expected experience because I was led to believe, that's is what was afforded to me. Putting a label on someone, doesn't make it so. It might make you relax, think you are good hands and that might make you expect more. If you are going to wear the label, make sure you are the Real Deal. We will find out if you are or aren't. We almost always do...