home sweet home...



I came home a day early -what a surprise! Daddy and Poppa got cell service when they were just 20 mins away to let us know they were on their way home. Keaton would still be at school and would have a wonderful surprise waiting for him. Unfortunately, we also had my SIL visiting Canada, on her way over. Daddy's homecoming was a big hit and we were semi-confident that a 7 year old couldn't have a heart attack from being pleasantly suprised, so I quietly gathered my stuff and planned my exit.

Gage caught on quickly and had a small meltdown. Miss M, who had been my shadow for the week didn't catch on until later. I talked to her that night on the phone and told her I would see her the next day - we still had Keaton's school carnival to look forward to, but for the moment, I was home.

Home is where I am the most content. While I have always felt at home at Brandi's and maybe, its because I leave so much of my heart over there - it is always home I long for. I looked around and Stevie had done a fine job of keeping things tidy but I didn't care. I fell asleep with a smile on my face and woke in the early hours to another smile.

The nights I spent away, were also great times of reflection. Dog tired as I was, I would rewind the day and play the parts that made me smile, laugh and want to cry. These incredible little people had so much to share and I didn't want to miss a moment. In the middle of the night, I would think about what the next day would bring. Field trip, karate, soccer or playing with baby dolls, I geared up and tried matched up my big girl energy to theirs, as best I could.

I will always cherish this last week. Big hugs in the morning and juicy kisses at night. Pancakes and scrambled eggs for dinner and fresh cookies, whenever we were home for more than 15 mins. Baths taking with precise amounts of water, soap and laughter. What a way to live.

Brandi has become a saint to me. Having only had one child, I now see what it takes to have three. Although we really missed Daddy, we all made the best of it. Now everything is back to the way it should be.

The days will unfold more lessons learned. My brain is still reeling and I miss them. Their sounds, their laughter - seeing Miss M's tousled hair in the morning, the way she clings on and pats you on the back for thise first few moments. Getting the boys ready for school and telling them, "I love you - have a fABulous day!". Lots of work but oh, so worth it.

It's quiet now and I can't say I am not more than content. Basically without a computer for 7 days, I had only minor withdrawal pangs. Home sweet home - I still have a lot to learn...