mentor...

A few years ago I was on a active prayer train asking God to send me a mentor. I think at different times in our lives and for different reasons, we can benefit from having a point of view in our lives that is non-family, friends, church related. The AA programs have shown that having a sponsor can make or break a successful recovery. Young moms can sure use some advice from someone who has already been there. A few years ago, I met with the Women's Ministry leader of my church to discuss putting together a mentoring program. By the end of that meeting, we both knew that putting people together is not our job but God's and we didn't pursue it again.

When Brenning Manning spoke last weekend, he talked of his spiritual advisor and I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. The problem is I have so many rules. She has to do this, feel this way about that and when I am all done, she pretty much resembles...me. I had pretty much put all this information into my request from God and she never showed up. Imagine that.

I am going to alter my requirements this time. While I still have a picture of whe looks like, I will put that aside. I would prefer some one with a background like mine but it is not a deal-breaker if she doesn't. Imagine trying to be my sponsor? I hadn't thought of that before. Not for the faint of heart. My husband says I can wear a person out with my Q&A and all my thinking questions. I don't even think God would argue with me that she needs to be tough and perhaps, carry a big stick.

And if she never show up, I am good with that too. I have had such wonderful friends along the Way and while I hoped to never burden them, I am sure I have. The point is I want to be open to not being the Last Stop. There is a great deal to say about accountability, we don't always have all the answers or even know what the questions are.

So as the song goes, I'm leaving it all up to You - you decide what You want to do. I am giving it over to the One who knows me best. Poor thing, if you are out there, run as fast as you can while you can...