All Hallow's Eve...

After 2 1/2 hours of crafts, snacks and play - it was time for the Spotlight Show. As Miss Shelli called them up, they marched up the steps, showed their moves, twirled so you could see the BACK of their costumes as we watched in awe. Stories you ordinarily don't get to hear. Not only did Batman make an appearance but the Tooth Fairy, several Princesses and a Professional Bull Rider were also present. If the rest of the class were like Batman, they were asleep before making the short trip home.

It doesn't get much better than cheese and crackers, halloween M&M's and candy corn cookies while wearing a costume of choice. For them, it really is about dressing up and the CANDY. Tonight is will be all about the candy. It is going to be bone-chilling cold here and we are going to be inside at the church's Trunk or Treat. Being raised in Southern California, we never had to worry about weather or wearing a coat. Those were simpler days.

Halloween is the second fastest growing holiday, according to retailers. In 2006, we will spend 4.96 billion dollars on Halloween. There is a home in my subdivision that has orange Christmas lights. I actually thought that as I drove by the first time - what a dork! but there is a darker side to this candy-giving holiday. The news now recommends taking all your child's candy to local hospitals to be xrayed before letting then handle their stash. Operation Lights Out is a desperate attempt to protect children from sex offenders who are required by law, to turn their porch lights out. I always say it is not those who are registered that I am worried about.

Growing up in an athesist home, there was not a sense of anything evil associated with Oct 31. My sister and I were always "hobos" and my dad would ride a bicycle as we hit as many houses as we could before he decided he had enough. It was the only time I ever saw him on a bike so it was somewhat of a sacrifice on his part. We would go home and he would lay out our bounty, take all the full size candy bars and we would get what was left , which was fine with us.

I see Halloween in a different light these days. I now know evil exists, not just on Halloween but everyday and am aware that there are things that will go on today that will be covered by my prayers throughout the day. There are battles that go on that have nothing to do with us, Today, my pretend gun and Hummer would be no match but my prayers are the most powerful weapons I possess - and I plan to use them.

It's not your mother's Trick or Treat anymore - it's a new world. We have to be more careful and aware. I am thankful that I have Batman on my side. Tonight Batman trades his superhero Black for another kind of superhero. Blue, as a matter of fact. I am spending the evening with a Police Officer, Snow White and the Wolverine. Looks like Snow White will be well protected - I am just around for the ride...