two steps forward and one step back...

Even nature understands the concept of two steps forward and one step back. For the last 6 years, every Fall my evergreen tree sheds like crazy. The first year, I thought it was dying - it was a gift from a wonderful friend and I had babied it along that whole first season. I thought it would never make it through the winter but here it is and every year, it grows like a weed. Now I understand it has to shed to grow and continue to thrive.

I don't know why it is so hard for us humans to grasp the concept. I think we fight it all our lives. Some are cautious to go forward, never wanting to have to go back. Some are always going forward, damn the consequences, and act surprised with the back shows up.

There is a balance somewhere in the middle that we can strive for. As I thought about the tree this morning, it made more than a little sense to make peace with the concept and maybe even someday, think of being able to thrive from it. Imagine that!