a dog's life...


A Christmas gift for a friend - I haven't been around a dog in a long time. This one was way more interested in having her soccer ball thrown so she could catch it. The only thing better was having a little boy to share it with. She was three times his size. She knocked him over a few times but he, who has never had a dog, brushed his self off and came back for more. In the meantime, I am trying to get some pictures for this collage. Lets just say I took over 100 pictures to get these 11 shots. The rest are all grey and white blurs.

My sister says I am not a dog person but she has no children so her idea of dog people may be a little skewed. We have had many dogs and I do like having them around. At this stage of life, it is difficult enough to feed and water ourselves without adding a pet. The fact that one needs pet medical insurance these days - is not lost on me. I couldn't afford to put more than $50 on any vet bill and that limits the medical choices I would make for a dog. So, instead of taking the risk of being hated by vets, a sister and others - I choose to not have a pet.

It is a whole new pet world now. Pet cemeteries, Halloween costumes and doggy day care is the norm now. Dogs and other pets have it made in the proverbial shade these days. When Hurricane Katrina hit the South, there were thousands of dog/cats rescued and adopted to all 50 states. Animals must have some great lobbyists - they will be forever treated as endangered species.

They certainly are paying their way in nursing homes where those who no longer have homes, can still enjoy petting a dog or having a kitty purring on their lap. They don't talk back, will listen to your woes for hours without getting bored and if you need to run off some energy, will gladly fetch a ball for you.

I have got to say, watching this dog run around the yard chasing that ball was great fun and the boy helping him, well, they could have played for hours. When it was time to quit, the dog went crazy and started barking at the boy, Please More! They parted, both reluctant to give up the Good Thing they had going on - not such a bad dog's life...or for a boy either...