karma...

My boss use to talk about karma. When he was upset about something or someone he perceived to be unfair, he would rest in the knowledge that karma would come back to bite them in the heinie. He truly believed it so there was a great deal of comfort in it for him. Born and raised Catholic, somewhere along the road, karma became his religion of choice. I, on the other hand, never had the patience nor the confidence to wait for the karma to kick in and usually wanted to hurt somebody NOW!

Now we have a TV show, My Name Is Earl, helping us (?) to understand karma from a different perspective. I don't know anything about how karma is suppose to work but as much as I wish it were true, I don't believe there is always a yin for a yang. There are enough people in the world who think if you sign on with Jesus - it comes with a move to Easy Street. I think His parables teach the opposite. That life is not fair but just stay with Him. I could very easily make a list of 100 things that will never be fair/make sense/ get revenge for this side of heaven. Things that could make one say, How could there be a God who would let this happen? Instead, all the things on that list are dutifully recorded and the answers to why, have been delayed indefinitely. I can live with that. Of course I would prefer on the spot answers but for now, I choose to delay my personal gratification because I believe He is who He says and He can do immeasurably more than we could ever ask or imagine - that includes the good with the bad.

Standing in a long line at the Walmart pharmacy yesterday, a woman was talking on her cell phone and this 20-something year old kid cut line in front of her. He knew exactly what he was doing. She turned to me and said, Guess his time is more valuable that ours. These days you don't confront anyone - you never know who is nuts so you just let it go. So nothing was said and about 10 mins later, it was his turn at the register. The clerk went to get his prescription, came back empty handed. They had just got the paperwork from the doctor and it would be another 30 minutes before his order was ready. He cursed and walked off. I thought to myself, Hmm, karma. Whatever you call it this side of heaven, everyonce in a while - it sure feels good...