everyday people...



Estate Sale - Sat, Nov 17, 9AM. Over 60 years from a woman who threw nothing away! Hundreds of books including over 500 cookbooks - lots of glass, jewelry, pottery, crockery and over 300 collector plates. Sale will be indoor and out - Don't miss it!

My BIL had asked me a few weeks ago if I wanted to make a few extra bucks wrapping/bagging for him at this sale. I didn't find out until Thursday that we would be outside and that the weather looked like it was going to be cold, rainy and miserable. I really, really wanted to call in sick but decide to brave it.

I got there at 8 and the crew said they had people in the yard at 530 AM. I was worried about anybody showing up and the place was crawling with people trying to peek in the backyard for an early preview. My BIL came thru and cashiers crew were placed in a big tent with a FABulous heater. Plenty of newspaper and bags, when they opened the doors at 9, you could feel the whoosh of people. I had to go in the house to get some hand lotion for the cashier and it took me 10 minutes to swim up stream to the bathroom. I have never seen so many people and I have really never seen so much stuff. The grandson was there and now lived in the house or at least was attempting too. He said the family had taken out 15 truckloads of stuff before the sale and there was still more stuff than you could imagine. The house was packed and so was the backyard. They said when you walked in the front door, there was a small pathway to walk - boxes stacked on top of each other every place else. The doors to the bedrooms only opened a few inches. My BIL said he had in over 100 hours setting up the sale and it looked like it.

One of our first customers was an older lady herself who bought over 20 boxes of books - $120 and an hour later, she made room for others to show. It always amazes me what people buy. Lots and lots of disposable income present and this was a working class crowd. The pitch - Sarah Coventry jewelry, She was a dealer - all 70-80's vintage. On gal bought 18 rings at $3 each and then came back for the 1/2 price sale and bought 17 more. All I have got to say is that junkers love their stuff. There were a few antique dealers but mainly, just people wanted to increase their own stash. When I first got there, my BIL told me to look around and get what I wanted. I left without one thing. Whether overwhelmed or just in different season of life, I kept thinking I didn't want to leave my family with such an overwhelming task. I think it was part of that generation's Story. Those who had gone thru the Great Depression to hoard and get rid of nothing. After seeing younger people and their purchases, it could also be the next generation's theme but for a completely different reason.

It was a long day, a fun day and an interesting day. I love watching people - the two older brothers who between them spent over $400 on collector plates and 10 boxes of old Avon products. The one guy who spent the largest amount was wise enough to bu his wife a little Something to soften the blow. The spry 80 year old in her black leggings and pink hat and shirt who came back after 1PM for the 1/2 price sale. She was the Jesus of the crowd. Every once in a while, I am aware of someone who is ordinary yet not. I sense there is more than meets the eye and I always feel like I need to pay close attention - and I followed that instinct. Good day, made a little money and learned a lot - not a bad return on my time...