the gift of giving...




The food banks are empty. I was handed a little flyer at my last trip to Walmart that for $12, I could feed a family for Thanksgiving. The Salvation Army reported that corporate giving is down 68% and personal giving by more than 60%. I would imagine that it will get worse before the holiday season actually begins.

The famous red kettles are out earlier this year, hoping that more time helps makes us for less funds. There was a kettle out at the TSO concert and poppa gave Keaton money to put in the kettle. I couldn't have been prouder of either of them.

It won't hurt any of us to downsize our list to Santa. We have and most everyone I talked to are making changes of some sort. I talked to a young girl today that said everyone on her list is getting Levi's. A practical and cool gift, I think she is on to Something.

My favorite Gift Drive also started a bit early. The local college is sponsoring their annual gift collection for several nursing homes and their list hit the paper today. It must be difficult for some of this people when asked what they would like. 2E asked for a 12 pack of Pepsi while 7K and 10K asked for a case of Pepsi. maybe 2E is new.

Every other giftee asks for a sweat suit. I never really understood until it was too difficult for DD father to put regular pants on. He hated them but by the time he had to wear them, his mind was pretty much gone. Lots of these nice folk want to smell good, lots of requests for cologne and perfume. Not sure I could tell the difference - wonder if they can. Candy is also a big need as are slippers and nightgowns.

My favorites are those that are just thinking a bit different than all the rest 5N only asks for a necklace - bet she is still quite a looker. 3D asks for costume jewelry - she would like some bling but cubic z is good enough for her. Miss6C asked for tea cups, nick knacks, a sketch pad and paint brushes - bet she has a Story.

Then there is the One. There is always one. Would love know 7L Story. All that is requested is a 2 ft blow-in music keyboard. I have no idea what this is but I am intrigued. Almost makes me want to show up Christmas morning to see 7L's face. I hope someone knows what this is and buys it. With Sears mantra this holiday season, Don't just give a gift - grant a wish imagine how cool it would be to grant this special request.

Where ever you find your heart being tugged at this Christmas season, listen carefully and even if it may seem that you have nothing to give - look around. I have a whole country Christmas ornament set. There are over 60 ornaments, a quilt, a metal star tree topper and a whole lot more. So far, I have no takers but the season is young. If you know anyone who would like such a bundle, let me know. I am looking forward to the Season - less can be more and sharing what we have, may make us happier than we could ever imagine...