pondering...



I can't believe that it has been a week since the election. With all the frenzy gone, it has given me time to ponder what will happen next. As I write this the Dow is done by 264 points, gas is under $2.30 a gallon and Christmas is beating down on my emotional door.

Out of fear, I understand that retailers are resorting to almost criminal means to wrestle our money our of our hands. Sears is saying, Don't just give a gift, Grant A Wish! . I think that is certainly my idea of Christmas gift giving. I want every gift I give make the giftee feel like a child again. I want them to feel that sparkle, if only for a brief moment - of having exactly what they would ask for, if they knew their wish would be granted.

Resources are limited this year. This year, many of us are looking at layoffs or worse. For many of us, granting a wish is the farthest thing from our minds because we have to worry about food and heat. I talked to my friends about skipping the gift part and just taking time to be together. While it felt difficult at first, it was freeing afterwards. I look forward to our time together. As I start to watch all the Christmas commercials, I feel the urge to sell my soul to Visa but then I stop and try to imagine how freeing it may be to just enjoy the hustle and bustle of the season.

As TSO rocked the house last night, I already know which part of heaven I want to hang out in. Last night was a gift to my soul. Maybe with less gift giving, there will be more time to find more soul gifts. Come January, they may be worth more than we could ever imagine...