naughty or nice...



I always knew the score with Santa and because I was the kid that everyone wanted their kids to be, I never worried much about coal in my stocking. The truth was I thought Santa was rewarding me for living with the family I had been given.

ANYTHING was possible with Santa. He might even wake me up and take me back to the North Pole with him where I could live the good life. Imagine my despair when I found out the truth. That those I wanted to get away from, were in charge of my destiny at Christmas.

When I grew up and the baby Jesus entered my Big Picture, ti couldn't have been more of a shock. Santa has his own Pole, this baby didn't even have a home and he was a baby. How does one wrap their brain around the Santa who cares and knows whether you are naughty or nice and the baby who would give up his life and hold nothing against me.

Coal, oh it's real alright. I have seen it at Walmart. Growing up I remember boys bragging that they got coal but I imagine that it wasn't the Walmart kind. How does a child reconcile Santa and Jesus?

My point of reference this year is Gage. He seems to know about coal but thinks he will charm Santa and has no worries. On the other hand, having the Jesus kit around ( his definition for a nativity) seems to fit in his area of understanding. Keaton has a clue about Santa and this may be his last year lving vicariously thru Santa. Whether he shares what he thinks with Gage, is yet to be seen. What would Gage's response be? Would he be infuriated or take it in stride? I imagine the boy will have some questions about whether Jesus is real if we were less than honest about Santa. That is one conversation that I would love to sit in on. Will see how it goes.

Aren't you glad that your Christmas doesn't have to depend on your behavior. If I made a list, one column naughty and one nice - Not sure I would have much to brag about. Coal could be a real option for me. It's not just about what happens to us this Christmas or the next or the next. It's about that helpless baby and the Bigger Picture. I just need a Jesus kit to remind me of what Christmas is about and enjoy the holiday time. As for the coal, I'm just not that worried...