everything is a mask...



Heard that during a chat last weekend at my favorite digital scrapbooking place. A mask in digital scrapbooking is something you fill in. With a photo, a piece of patterned paper or a single element to highlight a page. A page that yo are creating to save a memory. Everything is a mask, quickly I saw it as a truth for my everyday life.

Some days, I think I have a pretty good hold on being transparent, as much as any human can be. We all have our places where no one is invited and if invaded, we will fight like crazy to keep people out. Whether healthy or not, I am mostly aware and happy to share what I can about what I have learned. We can learn so much from each other if we are Real but not sure our human default, unless actively pursuing change, has much of a chance.

In Real Life, masks make us feel good about ourselves. We never stop to consider how it looks to the outside world. Just like in scrapbooking - if it is not done right, a mask looks terrible. It is so obviously wrong - either off center or missing the mark completely. Does nothing for a digital page or a life.

Using a mask in scrapbooking is one of my favorite ways to romanticize a layout. It softens the edges and hides part of whatever product you use in the mask. The results, again if done right, are gorgeous. Almost always, very artsy. Something you might put on a canvas in your living room, something you would be very proud of. Just like Real Life, there is a time and a place for everything including masks. Use them wisely...