john 316



It dawned on me last night that God can be as real as you want him to be. God doesn't change, we do. When we decide we want more of Him, we see more of Him, experience more of him and start to understand that the little old world around us, is bigger than we think...always.

A few weeks before school started, I started thinking about my plan to pray for Keaton, Gage and Morgan and going back to school. Each one was starting on a new journey and quite frankly, wanted them to be not just covered but saturated in in prayer. Not just for safety or that they make friends or the get good grades but much, much more.

I wanted them to be joyful every day.
I wanted them to take the God they each knew, with them everyday
I wanted them to grow, change, laugh and love every day.

We are now into our third week of school and there have been a few bumps. Someone stole Keaton's Percy Jackson book when he put it down in the restroom and he had to replace it with his own money. We talked about it - kids take things that aren't theirs. Big people do too. Some lessons are never learned by some people. All in all, everyone is doing fine and the four of us, just keep doing what we are doing.

Everyone knows John 316. I don't remember but I imagine I ever heard parts of it when I was a kid and because of that familiarity, sometimes we just tune it out. Before last week, that is where I was. It kept coming back to me and I keep shoving it back. It actually became a bit irritating, until I started paying attention. I replaced a few words and the prayer seem to come alive to me. It has been over a week, and everytime I pray it - it is like there is new breath around me.

For You so loved Keaton, that you gave your only son and if he believes, he will have eternal life...

I prayed it for each one of the kids. Then their mom and dad, then their grandpa, then their other grandma and grandpa.... I prayed it for everyone I knew and some I didn't. As I was praying it this morning, I was close to tears. God is personal, as personal as you want him to be. You can wrap your arms around him, crawl up in his lap and let it rip - he can take it all. You won't ever get all the answers you want, this side of heaven. When you start to take him personal, you will stop caring about getting the answers and start learning to live with the questions. The Serenity prayer will make sense...God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference. Living one day at a time; Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it; Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him. Forever in the next. Amen.


I love the Big Picture prayers. It always brings perspective. We don't know what is coming for each of us. No one is given upfront vision or upfront courage, It is about vision and courage, in the Moment. It is about being up close and personal. It is about today...