nine year later...



I can't believe what I am seeing... man from his apartment filming a block away for the WTC September 11, 2001/History.com

It has been my default to watch the Today show account of 9/11 for the last nine years. To watch that morning through the eyes of Matt Lauer, Katie Couric and Tom Brokaw. To watch their astonishment as they start to understand what I already know. Thinking it was first an accident but after the second plane hit, knowing something was not right, having no idea how this Story would unfold and change the world as they know it.

This year, I missed it and thought, too bad, it had become somewhat of a tradition. I sat down about 630PM and as I flipped through channels, came across the History Channel and their perspective. Their Story was a compilation of many photographers who were on the streets of New York that morning, filming assignments and living their lives. From a block away to several miles away, this extraordinary footage of people from the streets, their homes - any and everywhere. It was Something I will not soon forget. The battalion of 19 firemen as they marched off to the 2nd tower after the first had already fallen, who would never return. People in the streets with their mouths wide open and others running for their lives. IT was a different face to 911 and as I watched, I thought again of what is going on 9 years later.

We are a different people now. More cynical and less forgiving. Gage asked his dad today if the war was over - he wasn't aware of the date and I thought that rather interesting. He didn't ask about a particular war and as his dad told him no, he let it go. He wouldn't be born until 3 years after 911, not sure what his generation's 911 will be. The thought actually frightens me.

Like the Kennedy assassination for my generation, we will never forget where we were nor what we were doing. That is how it is with we humans,we couldn't forget if we wanted too and for most of us, we don't want too. Nine years later, life goes on for those left behind but I can't help but think of those who have loss their lives since 911 trying to keep us all safe. 911 didn't end on September 11, 2001 - it is still happening today. RIP.