obsessed...

Trailer: Finding Vivian Maier from John Maloof on Vimeo.



If you laid all my photos from end to end from the last 6 months, you would see a recurring theme. A lack of color, unlikely subjects and a woman who is obsessed.

If you looked at my scrap pages, you would think I have lost my mind. Again, very little color or ornamentation. I would tell you that none of this was by choice. I didn't expect to find or change the way I was doing business but the minute I saw the VM collection, something clicked inside.

I have gone back over the last few years to find, I have been seeing life in this medium, all along. When I didn't think I had a creative bone in my body, I was already doing it, only I was unaware.

Now I understand. I am more comfortable in my skin. The idea that the color and ornamentation might not come back bothers me but I have enough life experience behind me to know, it could be back and that is good enough for now.

At any given time, we are each ahead and behind of where we actually think we are. We are better than we think, we are braver than we think and we know tomorrow could change it all. This whole obsession does not appear to be laving soon but if I wake up tomorrow and it is gone, there will be only thanks...