sometimes...



it is all about you. By the very nature of the beast, you have no choice. You are no longer in control. You are stripped of most everything and covered by virtually nothing. You are at the mercy of those around you, hoping that everyone does the right thing.

DD and DH had surgery 7 days apart. Took care of one and then, the other. Prayed for both of them at the same time. No lover of any thing hospital, I tried to lighten things up for DH. Camera, jokes, nothing was off limits. Had a big issue 24 hours before surgery, was told surgery was canceled and get a new surgeon. Do not know what happened but after 6 hours on the phone, found a contract doc to make the surgery happen. Never had a contract doctor before. Loved him. Also had a contract nurse. At least 6 1/2 feet tall, our age and a southern accent, he came in and had us instantly at ease. Both patients are on their way to recovery now. Summer can officially begin without anyone thinking they have missed out. We have three birthdays and one 4th of July in the next 2 weeks, we need to party.

Birthdays, the same thing. For 24 hours, it is all about you. Most of us aren't comfortable in either setting. At least at birthdays (or most of them), you get to keep your clothes on! You have no control over the amount of candles that are on your cake. Heading toward a milestone birthday has me in a bit of a mental stinky fit but the alternative is nothing one wants to embrace. I will handle it the best way I can, with my grandbabies who remind me of what is important.

I will take a birthday over hospital, anytime. I am better on the other side of the bed, helping and encouraging, than being the patient. I know one can not always dodge the medical bullet, but it won't be for lack of trying.

Get well, my darlings. If you need me, just yell...