merry and bright...


There is nothing that puts me more in a holiday mood that a child and Christmas music and if that kid has my blood flowing through his veins, even more so.

Last week it was Keaton, this week at church, will be Gage and Morgan's turn. If you listen really close, I swear you can hear angels singing. I truly believe that they were there at every Christmas concert I sang in as a kid even though I didn't know angels existed. I imagine God in the background, smiling.

Warm and fuzzy, just the way All Things Christmas should be. But, we all know that Christmas is not merry and bright for every child. Not every child will have a fan club show up for every activity, Christmas-related or not. Not every child will have a full belly from Thanksgiving to Christmas and if they do, it may be macaroni and cheese, if they are lucky. Those Salvation Army pots will be gone the morning after Christmas but guess what? People still get hungry in January.

This just hit me while talking to a friend today. I tcaem to me that I am emailing my pastor friend and suggesting working out the logisitics of keeping a red Salvation Army pot, next to our giving box, year around.

We don't pass a plate at our church. That was one of our founding ideas and we haven't changed it in 16 years. Thinking a red pot might be just the thing to keep our minds on Things Bigger Than Us. Is there a reason we shouldn't be merry and bright all year? Can't think of one...