Vivian Maier...


It has been a little over a year ago since the photos of Vivian Maier were uncovered, right after her death. She had boxes of undeveloped film and a huge undertaking was under way to develop and publish them. Her book was up for pre-order back in April and it arrived at my doorstep on Friday. I am a ahhappy girl.

You see, I was instantly smitten with Ms Maier's street photography and my personal life has changed dramatically in the last year. I found my calling, I knew intuitively that street photography was to be my course. Looking back, I had already started down the Path but didn't realize where I was headed. When I look back over my street photos, all together, keeping each other company, I am giddy. Have always loved black and white photography. I have even done my digi layouts in black and white. For me, it became crystal clear and I have not looked back.

Not only has my photography changed but Something I can't prove but wholehearted believe, is that when you are talking photos of strangers, you start to have a special affinity for them. I look at the photos of those I have captured and find myself, thinking about them. What do their lives look like? What are they now? The very older woman, sitting at the Apple desk, tryin got find pictures for her book. The street preacher who has one person's attention. Those at Flyimg M, who drift in and out.

It would appear that Miss V didn't want her photos made public. She was a nayy and took to the Big City on her days off and shot all these wonderful photos that she never intended to share. She must have assumed, they never would be. I for one, am glad that they are able to be enjoyed and studied. Thank you Miss V, whether or not you agree, you have taught us much. Be good with that and welcome the thanks. We all share this Journey. None of us live in a vacuum. In the end, you have given us a great gift. Smile and say thank you...