day 79...


July 7, 2012 is quickly approaching and it is time to start all the paperwork.

Last week we started on his company pension. It didn't take long to find out that a copy of my birth certificate would also be needed. I didn't have one. Thought I wouldn't need one until I retired. Misconception #1. I knew I was born in Lansing, Michigan and that my parents and grandparents left for sunny California, two weeks later. That would have meant traveling across the country in how many vehicles, with a two week old baby, the first week of December. They never talked about that trip but it must have been a doozy. Wish I had the sense to as. Everyone is gone now, no one to ask...

Which would have been helpful lst Friday when the phone rang at 803AM and it was a nice lady in Eaton County telling me, I wasn't born in Lansing and oh by the way, she was swiping my Visa card for $35.I sat in shock for a while but had Places to go and People to meet, so I pulled my my Big Girl Panties and moved on. Misconception#2.

Contacted the state of Michigan and they said if I was born anywhere in Michigan, Vital Chek would find me. As they swipped my Visa for $65, I started to have doubts about the whole thing. While Those People who raised me were certifibly insane, my grandparents weren't and I had heard my birth Story from them, many times. Now, it is just a matter of waiting.

Today, UPS said they are delivering mail that needs a signature from Vital Records. They usually come around 4PM, it is going to be a long day. It may or may not contain a birth certificate. The mystery may or may not, be solved. I am ready, no matter what. Not sure how to proceed if there is no certificate but feeling good that Miss Google will help. So until then, I will hold on to the retirement paperwork and wait. On a side note, last night we did the SS retirement online and that went much better. Patty Duke said it was quick and easy. Patty Duke wouldn't lie, that is just Somewhere I can't go today...

PS. Looks like I was born in Detroit. Life is good when you know you were born in Motown...