60 years and still going strong...


I saw the announcement for her 60th wedding anniversary in the paper last Sunday. I haven't seen her in almost 10 years. We worked together for so long. Worked with her two girls and her DIL too. I knew I had to go...

We were working together one night- there was some sort of potluck going on and one of us had brought a cake. A cake too good to share with those who wouldn't appreciate its goodness so we did what any normal thinking women would - we each got a fork and finished off the cake by ourselves. We didn't eat much at the potluck and decided to go to Weight Watchers, a decision that changed both of our lives.

With some people, you pick up where you left off whenver you see them. It is that way with her. I walked through the door and she got tears in her eyes and she grabbed me and hugged me hard. She just kept hugging me - she couldn't believe I was there. She lived on a farm for most of her married life, moving to town just a few years ago. Seems to have made a good transition to having close by neighbors. A few minutes later, she came to find me again and just stared at me. Her house was full of people, family and friends but maybe it was one whom she never expected to see that got her attention.

I grabbed my little piece of cake and sat in the rocking chair by the photo display. She did it herself and as she was talking to someone doing some admiring, Aren't they the cutest kids? And they are all grandparents now. I think it was a hard concept for her to really wrap her brain around even though she is one of the best people in the world. She has no religious tendencies but her God-given sense of goodness, could fool you into thinking otherwise.

I mingled around trying to find someone I knew and I found her DIL. A few minutes later, here she comes again with another big hug. I hugged her back. She tells me, Come over and work on my computer all day. She still has tears in her eyes, she just want to see me again.

I plan on going back before Christmas. I won't work on her computer but will give her my undivided attention. She made me feel like the prodigal daughter - her Love was so strong. It was her anniversary but I took home the Prize...