honesty ...


In the midst of the hustle and bustle that comes with the week before Christmas, we have two nights of karate testing. I had no experience with karate before this and was a bit skeptical but must admit, I learn something everytime I go. Last night, as group after group tested, the re-occuring theme was honesty.

Honesty - Be honest all your life - honesty.

There isn't a time of year that this isn't relevant and maybe more so, in the here and now. No matter what your upbringing, we have all had some exposure to the concept of being honest. Of course, we always have a choice and a portion of our population who know better, will decide against it. That will always be so - our only option is to make it not so - in our lives.

The honesty that is floating around in my mind today is not our honesty to others but to ourselves. For me, that kind of honesty is tougher. It certainly is more painful in the short run. Whether you are coming to terms with a relationship or personal limitations, it takes guts to do Down That Road. My perception is that if we exercised that kind of honesty more, we would have less trouble in the long run. My heart is really with women and this time of year.

Being honest with yourself, this time of year is a act of courage. Whether from internal or external expectations, we are pulled from every direction possible and some that are impossible. We won't be able to rest for quite a few days and then hopefully, we will be satisfied enough to take a break. Keaton tests tonight and I am so looking forward to it. It takes my mind off what else I waiting for me to do, if only for an hour. I will hear the honesty message again and I hope it sticks...