starwall...



Starwall - Big Stuff...Yesterday was Keaton's big day. Each second-grader gets to showcase themselves. They display pictures that tell the Story of who they are. They share their dreams as well as their fears. Keaton explained about his family, soccer, karate and his love for all things Pokeman. He also brought the leather strap with bells that fell off Santa's sleigh that he found in his yard last Christmas morning. After his presentation, the class got to ask questions and give compliments. Not surprisingly, about 99% of all the questions were about the bells. There was one question asking why he liked Pokeman so much and he did get a compliment from Evan about his pictures and neat handwriting but it really was all about the bells.

"Did you see anything else?"

"Where did you find it?"

"Is it plastic?"

The Keaton display will be up for a week and I can guarantee you if the bells aren't strapped down, they will have a new home. After all the questions had been asked and all the compliments given, the teacher gave us an opportunity to say something about him. Tough audience - as his mommy spoke first, I pondered what I would say. Could have gone in any direction but I went the XBOX route. I told the kids how he rocked at Spiderman and was way better than his poppa. He also had to toot his own horn. He said he was nice, was a good friend and liked to help people. He is all those things and more. Wish I knew more like him, big and little people.

We should all have a Starwall a few times in our lives. Not to show off or boast but mainly to hear what we are thinking. Sometimes I learn a lot more about myself when I listen to what I say. There is nothing wrong with re-grouping - stepping back to see what your fears and dreams are. They change, you know. Sometimes they change and we aren't even aware. A Starwall would fix that.

I learned alot in second grade today. About life, sharing with others and even phonics. At lunch, I told Keaton I might have to go back to second-grade. The kid sitting across from me said I would have to shrink to do that. I told him if I came into his class now, I had a car and could drive all the second-graders around. He just looked at me and changed his tune. 2 cool 4 school...