RIP...

As a kid living in a atheist world, Christmas was All about decking the halls. While decorating done by the Dictator, my sister and I were able to enjoy it afterwards. One year there was an elaborate candy house complete with a pond and skater. We were not allowed to help of touch but looking was allowed. Christmas was a time of wonderment and to this day, the Christmas of my childhood carries with it delightful memories.

The Christmas of my 26th year was my first one with Jesus. I treated His Story pretty much as an addendum to the Christmas of my childhood. Christmas after Christmas, He became more and more of my Christmas. The music, what's important and and how I view Christmas has changed over the years but with that growth has come, confusion. I thought I had it worked out -the expectations of merging the two Christmases but I was wrong.

For the last couple of years, our kids Christmas program at church has includes a dance number. In between waiting for the Wise Men to show up, we have Irish cloggers, all wearing the same red, curly wigs. This has just added to my confusion. I don't know how to incorporate this with the Baby Jesus or Santa, for that matter. Don't get me wrong, if Miss M was in a red, curly wig dancing her heart out, I would be the loudest clapper ever but what is the Message we are trying to get across?

For me, it is like trying to live 2 seperate lives for a month every year. The Santa part of Christmas speaks to the kid in me which is a significant part of who I am. To now share that with Keaton, Gage and Miss M, is something I never dreamed would happen.

Maybe, I am worrying about nothing.
Maybe it's time to let my expectations go and see if the confusion clears.
Maybe the time is here to let my Christmas confusion...RIP.

Wednesday night is Gage's first Christmas program. His teacher, Miss Brandi, told his mommy get a good seat and get ready. Apparently part of the program is Freestyle. At karate on Friday night, I think I was privy to a preview of what to expect. I don't want to give away the Secret but there may be some superhero moves involved. Maybe this will help my confusion. If you think about it, the Story of birth of Jesus points to the greatest superhero ever and as for Santa, he makes Spiderman look dull...