christmas cards...


I love getting christmas cards...except from realtors I have never used and my insurance company. I do not need the reminder tht I pay insurance on my house and car twice a year and am terrified to use them for fear of rising premiums.

My family never sent them and I followed suit when I got to be the decision maker. Back then, the photo christmas card was not around. The cards I recieve fall into a few different catagories. Right about now, about 85% are photo cards. A visual greeting with wishes for a great holiday and a picture of a family or kids. Another 10% is by the tradional card with a handwritten signature, no picture. The other 5% are the crafty ones. Newsletters with photos and great Stories by people who were blessed in a creative way.

My friend and I had this discussion the other day. What is the purpose of a Christmas card ?( for these purposes - including all formats of holiday correspondence) Is it to inform or entertain? Is this the right venue to be brutally honest about the year you and yours have had? Or is it about knowing that someone thinks enough about you to spend time and money to send you a greeting. I am not sure we came to any concrete conclusions but I have been pondering this for a few days and this is it for me.

You thought enough of me to send holiday greetings.
In one form or another, you are wishing me, the holiest of holidays
We are sharing the greatest Story ever told, together.

One girl who never sent cards decided she would this year. She wanted people to know that they were still alive. I was instantly blessed in a creative way and inspired by a old Monty Python line, We're not quite dead yet, which I thought rivaled anything that Hallmark could come up with. Short, simple and to the point....