trash the dress...



A few weeks ago as I was blog surfing, I found this site on a photographers site - trash the dress.com. I had to check it out - and have not been able to get it out of my head every since.

There is a movement by brides to have a photo shoot after their wedding and trash their wedding dresses. Beautiful, ornate dresses wind up in dirt, sand and the very worse - water. There are so cool From Here To Eternity beach love scenes. I am fascinated by the whole theory.

What is more precious to a bride than her wedding dress? To have the Trash the dress philosophy is to be free. It is to be able to not only think outside the box but to delight in it. I hold on to so much - what else could I trash?

My wedding dress was bought by my stepmother a few years before I got married for her wedding. I was on a tight budget and a white dress, well, lets just say that ship had already sailed. This dress was fine - it was green and I could live with that. After the wedding, I put it in a plastic bag and there it stayed until a few days ago.

I was under no illusion that my child or anybody I knew would ever want to wear the dress yet I have carried it around for almost 36 years. After spending a few weeks reading TTD, I decided it was time for me to do the same. The only problem is, it didn't quite fit. I could get it on and it fit everywhere but it wouldn't zip up to the top. My shoulders have apparently kept growing. No beach love scenes for me, I would have to improvise. My DH took the picture for me and here we are. The dress is now ready for the trash and I have this beautiful icon to remind me.

I feel so free. It wasn't like the dress was taking up room in my closet. It is hard to describe but I feel like this is just the beginning of a process. I do not know where this is headed but I am going gladly. God willingly, there will be more TTD moments and I can't hardly wait...