listen...




Gage has been obsessed with Hummers lately. It occured to me last Friday that I needed to take him to a car dealer and let him hang out with one. The same thought came to mind several times on Saturday. By Sunday, as we all played in the backyard, the Gage Hummer date was on my ToDoSoon list. I woke up Monday morning and that was all I could think about so when Brandi called I asked if I could pick Gage up from school and keep him for the afternoon.


I was suppose to mow the lawn and get some housework done but I couldn't focus on any of those chores so I packed up and headed for Gage's school. He had no idea where we were going so after a healthy lunch at Blimpie's ( his idea and I got a hearty, No Thank You to the offer of a cookie), we were off to the local Hummer dealership. We have one of those giant auto malls and the Hummers have their own showroom. I told the receptionist that I needed a salesman. Gage and I waited, cruised the Hummer reading material and in a short few, Travis came out to meet us.


I told Travis we were looking for a progressive salesman - one who would understand that Sometimes the payoff is in the future. I explained that we were there to see and feel a Hummer up close. He took us out and asked us which one we wanted to see - the blue one was the one Gage had picked before we went in. He got to sit in the driver's seat then the backseat and he climbed in the very back to check it out. After examining the inside of his beloved car, he was satisfied. He was good to go - he shook Travis's hand, said thank you and we were off. While we were there, he wanted to check out a Herbie ( a Volkswagon ) and again, we explained to yet another salesman what out intent for the day was. He happily obliged and Gage got to sit in the driver's seat of yet another Big Boy car.


We continued the party at Walmart, picked up a Hummer Monster Truck and a few other things and headed home. We played outside for the rest of the afternoon, had dinner and met up with mommy.


I may never know Why the persistence of taking him now. I know I could have ignored it, finished my housework, mowed the lawn and taken him later but I do know that Sometimes you have to do what you hear. If you are going to Listen then you better be ready to respond. The reason doesn't have to be earth-shattering. Maybe Gage needed some only-child time but I needed to do this and do this, I did. I had a ball with him. We laughed and laughed - a little funky date that he will probably never remember but I'll bet you, I will nver forget it...