Dr Bob...

Early 80's, my life had finally caught up to me and the coping skills I had used since childhood were no longer working. It was suggested that I get some help and that is how I met Dr Bob. Since he was a PHD mental doc,he could prescribe medicine as well as counseling and not knowing where all this would lead, he seemed the best fit and he was.

Dr Bob and I met for over a year. I came out seeing my life up until then for what it had been and that there was a better way to live. My bio family ordeals were far from over but gave me a new start, to change what had always seemed so normal.

At our last session, Dr Bob gave me his opinion of me. First, he told me to enroll in school and hang out my shingle. While it appeared to me that I was a mess, his attitude was much different. He thought I was a pretty smart cookie and sold myself too short. I did not go on to school and eventually hang out my shingle. College seemed a waste of time to me and since I had already done so well in Real Life, I decided to go with it. I hadn't thought about Dr Bob for a long time - until yesterday. Thank you, Dr Bob - I think I would have made you proud.

I have never met Joseph Duncan but his Story has plagued me since he decided to kill a mother, son and friend then kidnap two younger kids, molest both of them, kill the boy and hide out with the girl until he was caught at a Denny's restaurant. You have probably read about Shasta and her dad in the news. Her dad has throat cancer but the people of Northern Idaho and others, have built them a home so Shasta could have a safe place to live. I was looking forward to watching Duncan's trial last January but suddenly, he pleaded guilty. Great for Shasta, now she would not have to testify.

The sentencing phase has started in Boise this month. Jurors were being picked and suddenly, Duncan decided he wants to represent himself. Some think he is doing it so he can force Shasta to testify, First things first, he has to be deemed competent to represent himself. Enter Dr Bob.

Judge Lodge made a fine choice and I will not question whatever Dr Bob decides for Duncan. Some would say a normal person couldn't be sane and commit that kind of crime, I am not ready to commit to that theory. I would love to be a fly on the wall of that session. Duncan will get what is coming to him Someday. For now, it is just about our human way of dealing with people who do things we can't wrap our head around. As for Duncan, I hope he is paying attention during his time with Dr Bob - he might even learn something...