true happiness...



Happiness is relative and if we are all honest, superficial most of the time and by that I mean, much like a newborn - we get our days and nights or the things that bring us happiness - mixed up. I am as guilty as the next guy, no questions about it but I am trying to see it from a different perspective and I got to tell you, this could be the real deal.

Saturday was a great day. I was looking forward to Miss M's 3rd birthday party later on in the day. Balloons, cake, presents, cake, lots and lots of noise and more cake. It was giving me something to look forward to and it certainly put a smile on my face. Just before noon, I walked out my front door and headed for the mailbox. My next-door neighbor had his front porch patio furniture out in the yard, ready to rinse off the long, winter dirt but first, he started with his Harley. As I reached the mailbox, his three dogs came over to give me the once over as if they have never smelled me before. He is very particular about the behavior of his dogs and wants them to be respectful to his good neighbor - that is what he calls me. We chit chatted a bit and I walked up my driveway to come back in the house. When I was about 10 steps from the front door, he yells over at me.

Speaking very slowly, he said, If I was a religious man...I would thank Jesus Christ for today, then turned back around to finish washing his bike. I didn't know what to say. Something like, Yes sir, is what I think came out of my mouth but I wouldn't swear to it. All kinds of thoughts were going thru my head. I wanted to tell him that been religious was a prerequisite to anything concerning Jesus and...I wanted to give him a big hug, just because.

When I got back in the house, I gained some composure and realized I had just been given a wonderful gift. The gift to see Jesus thru my neighbors' eyes and that brought me the true happiness that stayed with me throughout the day. Simple yet so powerful. The stuff of true happiness. Not the physical stuff that we think brings happiness but the stuff of deep, deep inside - where it counts.

We went on to have a FABULOUS party for Miss M. She loved her Bitty Babies and loved that their outfits matched her. She has just begun her journey and for right now, her stuff brings that smile. Happiness is a journey and as with all journeys, they all look different. As for me, I wouldn't trade mine for anyone else's in the world - not one soul...