Unphotographable...

To one who is most comfortable knowing there is always a camera in her purse, at first I didn't understand what value I could glean from this blog but what I did understand was those times, when I couldn't get my camera out fast enough or it would be inappropriate to do so. I have missed so many shots and more importantly, I miss the opportunity to see a Story because I was so focused on getting the shot. Once you experience a photographer's high, you never forget it. From the moment you realize you must have the shot, all decisions are predicated on the task.

Sometimes in life, we are too busy to see what is going on. No wonder people hire others to take care of weddings, birthday parties, family reunions. While many of us can multi-task, how many times have we missed Something going on because we were looking down the barrel for that perfect shot.

Unphotographable has given me some much needed balance, and challenged me with seeing what I am looking for without a camera. Whether I can document an event with a physical photo or not, having it imprinted on my brain - may be the greater lesson. It puts the One that got away theory, in its place. We learn in many different ways and to limit ourselves to a certain way or the highway - maybe prove to be the worse thing we could do for ourselves. This is going to be a part of my on-going photography experience, Can't help but believe the pictures will get better and better...

This is the picture I did not take. This winter, I missed him when I hadn't seen him for a while. When I saw that an elderly gentlemen had been killed crossing the street while walking to work, I thought it was you. You are my favorite Walmart greeter. I searched the article in the paper to see if it was you. I would look for you, everytime I came in and left the store. One dark afternoon as I was leaving, I stopped and asked my second favorite greeter if you were alright. she said, Sure he is - he's over there. . I looked over and there you were, lining up the carts. I could have hugged you even though I probably would have scared you to death. She must have told you about my concern, now when I come in - you always give me a big smile. So glad you are ok.