recession-proof...



I am being told that tattoos and massages are not feeling the pinch of the present state of our economy. With GM and Chrysler's announcement last week that almost 2000 dealerships will be closing, I believe we are headed into a bit more trouble. Not sure what it will look like but it will affect every community and most likely, every family on some level.

The Class of 2009 has already started to take it's final bows. Senior pictures have changed - I remember what we paid for DD's, complete with a triple fold-out storyboard and it makes me ill. Everyone knows someone with a DSLR and the pictures that we take are making photo labs ask for photographer releases. It's about money and style - the urban shots are in and the black cape studio photos are out. Here are a few other things that are making the recessions hot list,

chocolate
running shoes
guns
gold coins
tanning products
gardening seeds
Spam
Dinty Moore stew
Hormel chili

MSNBC: Profits in the first three months of 2009 at Hershey Co., the nation's second-largest candy maker, surged 20 percent and beat Wall Street's expectations. Kraft Foods Inc. reported double-digit growth in macaroni and cheese dinners — the consummate comfort food.

Gun sales are being driven by concern that the Obama administration will tighten gun laws. But people also are feeling a level of fear and heightened interest in self-reliance as they weather the recession.

"They are looking down the road going `What could happen here?'" Underhill said. "I think a lot of Americans are truly scared. One of the things that tickles is our pioneer ethos, which is, `I feel better with a year's supply of toilet paper' and `Maybe I should start canning and pickling.'"


Would I feel better with a year's worth of toilet paper? Yes I do - not because I have bought that much but one of those huge TP bundles at Costco will last the two of us that long. As for pickling and canning, I am not convinced that it is cheaper with the cost of water and fertilizer added in to say nothing of the labor. May taste better but the Farmer's Market seems a better way to go to me.

They say the recession"s real benefit is driving everyone back to the family hearth. Less money means more family time, like it or not. We have so many distractions and are always thinking of ways to find more. The whole Facebook thing is making me rethink about getting out. I love you all but email may be a better use of my time -the essential vs the important, not as easy as it looks, Wish the good guys would wear capes - would make it so much easier...