a spare...



Why is it that the only thing we can universally agree on that we need a spare of is a tire? I am a firm believer in living a life with many kinds of spares. At a photo shoot, I want 2 pictures so if one is bad, all is not lost. I feel the same about toothpaste, deodorant and single serve guacamole. Having a back up 20 pack of diet Coke is a given and if there isn't one - get out of the way and SAVE YOURSELF.

The whole idea of a spare is not to be caught in a awkward situation where you really need something. I mean really need. Like a hair dryer.

I have told myself for weeks that it would be a very smart idea to pick one up. Not because there was anything wrong with mine but you never know. I didn't listen to that wise council and this morning when I turned my hair dryer on, it made a funny noise and then blew up. There were a few sparks but mainly were those wise words ringing in my ear. Thank goodness I didn't have to go anywhere and sopping wet hair would just be an inconvenience today instead of a catastrophe. I decided the people at Walmart had seen me in way worse condition than wet hair so all would be good.

You would have thought I would have learned my lesson. Shouldn't I have picked up 2 hair dryers? Have I not learned a thing? Another hair dryer is one the next Big Grocery List. Hopefully this one will last that long - I have the receipt and Walmart's 90 day return policy so I am confident that I am covered.

There are lots of places that we could use a spare in our lives. I am not talking about hoarding or trying to anticipate every little thing that could go wrong but a spare that really could make a change in your day. I am thinking about faith and on those days where it is not about the Big Picture but instead the little picture. you haven't lost your faith but you can't seem to find it because you are overwhelmed, or tired or insert issue here. It is the time you need to see all you have and what you have been given. It is a time to just be, not to feel guilty about where you are not. Just know that your spare faith is just fine and you are in no danger of losing anything.

A spare is a good idea and maybe for more than just our cars...