choices...



Very conscious choice Z. was my good friend's reply to my FB posting of living in the Moment. She does it as perfectly as any human I have ever met. As the weekend unfolded, the death of Amy Winehouse and the terrible shooting in Norway, became a part of our Moment, like it or not.

Someone said today that Amy Winehouse was known as much for her addiction as her music. She has joined the 27 Club, whose members included Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Brian Jones and Jim Hendrix. I did not know her music and when I heard the news, I had the same thought as Amy's mother, it was just a matter of time.

76 people gunned down in cold blood. Acting as a policeman, encouraging people to come out where they would be safe and then, shooting them one after another. A choice was made and then carried out. This didn't happen in a blink of an eye. This is not the work of a insane man.

We are only as good as our last choice... I wrote this many years ago and can't remember exactly in what context but today, it reminds me that, just as Miss L so eloquently stated, when we choose - it is a conscious choice.

Could either of these people been stopped from doing what they did? No
Is this always the outcome? No
Do we really always have a choice? The real truth is, yes.

Snapped this couple a few weeks ago, talking with the homeless man at the Mall. Imagined they were trying to help him and it warmed the cockles of my little heart. Imagine my surprise when this weekend, the same couple were sharing the corner with him, signs and all.

We would like to think that we don't. We would like to think that when this stuff happens, they had no choice. That is how we can wrap our head around it, how we explain it to ourselves because we are not able to understand with our heads or hearts how some of these choices are made and maybe, closer to home - are we next? We are only as good as our last concious choice, make it count...