privilege...



Women have to look beyond the concept that beauty is only skin deep. Our society has become obsessed with beauty and youth. I work hard to empower my clients to remember that aging is a privilege and the natural course of events, we are stronger and more dynamic with the life we have led at 40 than we were at 20 and there is immense beauty in that/ Molly Stern.

I marveled at these words by a celebrity make up artist. Aging is a privilege. Read it again, aging is a privilege. Have you ever thought of it that way? I hadn't and as with many other privileges, fall short of recognizing them.

Privilege
A peculiar benefit, advantage, or favor; a right or immunity not enjoyed by others or by all; special enjoyment of a good, or exemption from an evil or burden; a prerogative; advantage; franchise; preferential treatment

That means aging is a gift. Not given to all, not enjoyed by others or all. When you think of it in those terms, whining about getting old seems pretty petty. This summer I have purposefully started my day with gratitude for a chance at another day. It has changed my attitude in ways I never could have imagined.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

None of know who or why.
None of us have tomorrow in our back pockets.
None of us have more than right now.

I have been whining about my 60th birthday. I have not been thankful for hopefully, reaching this milestone. This stops now. From this day forward, every day will be considered a privilege and will be treated as such. Funny how a few words can change your life, thank you...